Forums  ›  Places  ›  Resorts

Great Deals to be had???

Quote · 2086 days ago · 0 people like this ·

Hello everyone, I was hoping you might be able to help me out. I do love my ski holidays each year but I can only really afford one next winter and obviously I want to get the best value for me and the family I can. My question is this, there are some great deals available out there at the moment for early bookers but should I hold on and see if the deals get better nearer the season? its a tricky out I guess but any advice would be great from people who have done similar in the past.

Quote · 2086 days ago · 0 people like this ·

Hi Holidaylover,

Waiting till the last minute or booking in advance is always a tricky question. For what it's worth here's my opinion . . .

In general, if you are tied to specific dates, resort or accommodation; have complicated requirements or a set idea of what you want it is best to book early and make sure that you get what you're looking for. This is particularly important for school holidays as these dates often sell out, flight prices get more expensive closer to the time and things like ski hire and ski school book up. If you are going to book early now is a good time as loads of companies have earlybird deals and discounts running.

If you aren't tied to holiday dates and are willing to be flexible on departure date, resort and accommodation then it is worth leaving it until the last minute to see what is available. If you can travel any week in January, to any chalet in any resort, you will be able to pick up a cracking deal on a really posh chalet or hotel at the last minute - in this case think about booking 1 or 2 weeks before to get the best deals.

Hope that helps - and happy planning!

Heather

Quote · 2085 days ago · 1 people like this ·

Hi Holiday Lover

I think the advice form IceandFire is spot on.

If you travel in large groups then leaving it to last minute isn't advisable as last minute places tend to be for couples or small groups, if you are a large group then book early to take advantage of early bird deals and free group places.

If you have no preference of resort, accommodation, and you are travelling as a couple then you could leave it as late as the day before you travel in some cases (I used to work for an online ski agent and we would have last minute deals come in and people booking the day before travel), a lot of late deal availability will also depend on snow conditions, this year the deals were not as plentiful as the year before when snow was pretty poor the deals were amazing and there were loads!

As mentioned by iceandfire to get a cracking deal start your search about 2 weeks before you want to go and try going through an on-line agent as they receive deals on a daily basis and can offer a wide range of offers including chalets, self catered, hotels and b&b, plus whole packages and just accommodation only deals,  or try chalets direct, this is a great site to find a deal as you can post in their solution room you exact criteria and the chalet companies will contact you with their offers.

Another point to mention about last minute deals is that is you find exactly what you are looking for at the right price BOOK IT, don`t wait as last minute deals book fast and if you don`t snap it up someone else will.

January and April I would say are the best months to get the best deals, for guaranteed snow go in January and you never know you may get yourself such an amazing deal that you may just be able to squeeze in a 2nd last min deal in April Laughing

Forums Home