Forums  ›  Places  ›  Resorts

Advice on suitable resort

Quote · 2106 days ago · 0 people like this ·

I'm considering where to go next season. I've just come back from Sestriere, but found it limiting for blues and the reds were a little too challenging. I'm looking for somewhere with lots of blues and easy reds, but with enough of a challenge for my boyfriend who skis challenging blacks. We went to Courmeyeur the first year and La Thuile the next, but both are too small and limiting. We love Italy and were wondering if Cervinia sounds suitable for us both. Austria is a consideration, but looks so much more expensive. Ski to door (or almost) is preferential. I saw St Anton on a film recently and it looks fantastic - would it have enough long blues and easy reds though? Any other ideas would be welcomed.

Hi LMSki, Thanks for joining us here at SnowVole!!Cool

Would you guys consider France perhaps?

We've looked at France and all the reviews and have decided that nothing there matches up to Italy (especially when looking at the increased cost) and keep going back to Italy. We're pretty much decided on Cervinia as that looks suitable for me with linked Zermatt being excellent for experts. So unless anyone can sway us otherwise I think it will probably be there. If anyone has been to Cervinia I'd like an honest opinion as to the suitability of a nervous, slow intermediate skier who has a dodgy knee so likes cruisy reds which can be skiied without lots of side slipping and snowploughing. Lots of long blues for the afternoons when I'm tired would be great.

Cervinia would certainly give your boyfriend the challenging runs he would be looking for across in Zermatt and Cervinia in my opinion without having seen how you ski is very good for beginners and low intermediates (& Nervous intermediates). My other suggestion might be Claviere in Italy but having been to Sestriere you are probably familiar with Claviere.

As for Courmayeur from your description of your skiing I would suggest it might not be best for you.

If you would consider France I would definitely suggest Paradiski basing yourself in one of the La Plagne villages would work really well for you both on most levels.

I am sure like most things there will be plenty of other opinions though.

Quote · 2105 days ago · 0 people like this ·

We had looked at La Plagne, but Cervinia loomed to be better value for money. Do you know how easy it is to get to and from Zermatt? My boyfriend would be fine, but I'd like to go over there and wonder if it's possible to do it all on gondolas/chairs and blues (or very easy reds). Otherwise it wouldn't be worthwhile my getting an international pass. We didn't get over to Claviere from Sestriere - in fact I didn't get out of Sestriere which is a shame. Sestriere is deceiving. It looks great because of the linked resorts, but they are extremely difficult to access unless you are a very confident intermediate. As many people have also said, the labelling of the slopes is not very good there at all, the piste map is deceiving and there is no board to say which lifts or runs are closed so you could easily find yourself having to do runs you aren't capable of doing. I've heard about complete beginners in ski school having to do a black! Also what looked like a lovely long run left my boyfriend stranded and having to walk a considerable distance back to resort - with no warning of this at all! This is why I like forums so lots of information can be obtained before going somewhere and finding out a resort isn't suitable the hard way! Thank you.
Quote · 2105 days ago · 0 people like this ·

Lmski - Yes it is true that Sestriere can be a little naughty like that for difficult runs and lack of communication so I sympathise with you totally. There is a gondola that connects Cervina and Zermatt but its such a long time ago since I did the Cervinia - Zermatt connection that my memory is a bit faded on the slopes needed to ski to and from sorry, hopefully someone will arrive here to help you.

SnowVole has friends everywhere so someone will have the advice you need.

Quote · 2102 days ago · 0 people like this ·

Have you thought about Cervinia? Loads of easy blues and reds. It links to Zermatt in Switzerland but the link is more difficult and closes in bad weather. 

Quote · 2102 days ago · 0 people like this ·

Sorry to be blunt but Trudi - can you read?

Quote · 2101 days ago · 0 people like this ·

PJSki, yes of course I can read.

I went to Cervinia and it was great but the link over to Zermatt was shut for a couple of days due to the weather and when we did go over the top the runs were more tricky than some of the runs we had been doing on the Italy side.

What about Cervinia? Lot's of easy cruising blues and reds. Linked with Zermatt also.

How about Cervinia? Lots of 'motorway' blue and red pistes, and a link to Zermatt.
Forums Home